A SHOWCASE FOR REAL RESULTS
The World Congress Health Value Awards recognizes health care vendors, brokers and purchasers who consistently deliver high value that can be replicated throughout the continuum of clinical and financial risk management. Validated categories are evaluated by the Validation Institute, an independent certifier for performance and methodologies and all categories are then reviewed by a panel of nationally prominent judges for market viability, impact and innovation. The Health Value Team: World Congress, Validation Institute and Health Rosetta Institute, showcase these organizations based on their performance and illumination of issues of national importance.
The Health Value Awards application process truly brought out the best of the best in the industry. This competition tested the strength of many industry experts, and with that, the most accomplished came out on top. It was truly humbling to have won two awards out of the hundreds of nominees.
–Matthew Painten, Marketing, The Phia Group, LLC
We are honored to be recognized for the value Health Tree brings to our clients, but it is those clients, who have been courageous enough to say "no" to the status quo, that we truly celebrate. World class healthcare at significantly lower cost IS possible, and we are grateful for the trust our clients place in us to guide them on this journey.
–Edward Smith, Founder, Health Tree Benefits & Consulting
Thank you, the 2018 winners are all great organizations worthy of such praise. The team here at MINES and Associates looks forward to applying next year for a chance to be among these innovative groups with whom we share so many values.
–Dani Kimlinger, PhD, MHA, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, Chief Executive Officer, MINES and Associates
The Health Value Awards are helping transform the marketplace toward improved health outcomes and reduced healthcare costs. As an organization, we are committed to providing high-value and progressive healthcare benefits to our employees and their families. We appreciate the recognition as a Health Value Award Winner.
–Renee Krug, Chief Financial Officer, GlobalTranz Enterprises, Inc
The Health Value Awards allowed us to showcase our program, meet our competitors, and learn about strategies that have been successful. We look forward to participating next year!
–Jayne Schmitz, Wellness Program Specialist, Massachusetts Municipal Associates
The Health Value Awards are wonderful to recognize leaders in the industry. I'd like to see more categories in prevention and wellness.
–Emily Edwards, Regional Manager, Angiology Corporation
Many thanks to Lynne and the World Health Care Congress team for another great show. The logistics for our presentations and interviews were trouble free and the Health Value Awards were excellent. Already looking forward to next year!
–T.J.Tedesco, Vice President, Customer Experience, Vivio Health
The 2018 Health Value Award event held in DC was amazing. Amazing event. Amazing presentations. Amazing collaborations. Amazing networking. Can't wait for the 2019 event.
–Richard Sutton, CEO, RE Sutton & Associates, a Division of Brown and Brown
We are honored to have won the Diamond Award, as a TPA, from the HVA and they recognized and validated our ability to reduce spend by self-funded Employers. We will be back next year with additional programs to be validated for continued savings.
–Jeff Bernhard, CEO, Continental Benefits
Integrated Musculoskeletal Care (imcpt.com) has gotten a lot of positive attention and business leads since receiving the Health Value Awards. We are convinced there is a causation.
–J. Mark Miller, President, Integrated Musculoskeletal Institute
Since winning the 2018 Gold Product/Program Health Value Award we've seen increased interest in our product and business model. We've been approached by brokers both locally and nationally for collaboration that recognized the award. The Health Value Awards do a phenomenal job in gathering healthcare's industry innovators. We'll definitely be incorporating the Health Value Awards, Validation Institute and Health Rosetta Institute into our branding. Looking forward to working with the HVA Team again!
–Jourdan Miller, Director of Marketing, Access HealthNet
The Health Value Awards were incredible. The conference was amazing with great speakers, specific content, and a well thought out marketing plan. We will be back.
–Adam Russo, The Phia Group
For Allergychoices, the Health Value Awards have opened up conversations with groups who share our passion for changing a system that simply isn't working - not just by discussing the issues, but actively working to build solutions that will change the landscape.
–Anne Hendrickson, Vice President of Operations and Marketing, Allergychoices
Our experience with the Health Value Awards was an important part of our internal and external engagement strategy, and has led to increased interest and awareness of our Partnership for Prevention program.
–Samuel Peik, MD, MPH, MBA, Global Health Advisor, GSK
It was a huge honor to have won the Diamond Award, especially amongst so many other innovative companies and programs. This award has provided us with further validation that our partnership with Vivio Health in the specialty drug space has had a profound impact both on our program's success as well as in the lives of our employees!
–Patrick Hervey, Manager II, Benefits, Talent Management
The ARAVIND EYE Care System is proud to be the Diamond Winner of 2018 in the Direct Health Care Category. The “Validate Institute” reviewed our performance, outcome measures and other parameters against their rigorous standards as well as against several other competing providers. This testimony not only reinforces our work and the processes behind them, but also energized our team to strive for greater heights. This recognition and its showcasing also opened new opportunities and networks.
–Mr. Thulasiraj, Executive Director, Aravind Eye Care System.
Having served as a lead judge on Best of the Blues (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) and URAC’s Consumer Empowerment Awards, I am happy to be judging the World Congress Health Value Awards – like those programs we will be independently reviewing and looking for the best of the best!
–Thomas Wilson, PhD, DrPH, Founder, Population Health Impact Institute
This award recognizes health care vendors, brokers, and purchasers who consistently deliver higher value that stands in contrast to the industry's unaffordable services and unwarranted variations in outcomes and cost. By adhering to principles of evidence, transparency, competition and efficiency, we seek to identify high value health care organizations as examples that can be emulated throughout the continuum of clinical and financial risk management.
This is a prestigious award for those who can set examples for the industry. In front of 1200 health care professionals and 50 media groups your work could be showcased at the 16th Annual World Health Care Congress April 28 - May 1, 2019 in Washington, DC. This will bring high level recognition to your organization and the chance for high level networking which can lead to a GOLD SEAL of validated business. This attention can accelerate the growth of your organization's contacts, contracts, opportunities and positioning.
- Fill out the nomination or application form
- Apply for validation (applicant only)
- Receive confirmation of application/nomination
- Await the finalization stage which will begin 2/15/2019
Key Dates & Deadlines
- June 1, 2018 – Nominations Open
- December 31, 2018 – Nominations Close
- January 31, 2019 - HVA Applications Submission Deadlines with all validated materials
- February 15, 2019 – World Congress Announces Finalists in each HVA Category
- March 8, 2019 – Validation Completed
- March 29, 2019 – Judges Determine Winner and Ranking of Diamond, Gold, Silver
- Sunday, April 28, 2019 (5:00 pm – 6:00 pm EDT) – Health Value Awards Ceremony, Thurgood Marshall Room, Marriott Wardman Park, Washington, DC
* Applicants should assemble materials required by the validation process beforehand, and be prepared to immediately submit upon notification of finalist status. Those who wish to pursue validation independent of their progress within the HVA competition may choose to submit the required materials earlier.
Certain categories are subject to a Validation Process. These include, but are not limited to: Payers & Related Suppliers: 1. Reinsurers, 2. Commercial Insurers and 3.Third Party Administrators. They also include: 4. Direct Care Providers and 5. Product/Program Providers. The Validation Institute certifies these clients for integrity, data reporting and transparency of claims and cost savings. It looks for consistency, accountability, compliance and compatibility of products and services, and desirable outcomes such as quality of life and value creation.
There is an initial $399 application fee due to World Congress+.
There is a $3,500 fee through the Care Innovations Validation Institute should you chose to apply for validation in addition to the awards.
+ The $399 application fee grants you a complimentary ticket to the 16th Annual World Health Care Congress, April 28 - May 1, 2019 in Washington, DC. In order to use the complimentary pass you must go through the validation process if your application is in a validated category.
46 Validated Categories
- Commercial Insurers
- Third Party Administrators
- Program Provider - General Output
- Direct Care Provider - General Inpt.
- Direct Care Provider - General Outpt.
- Direct Care Provider - General Primary Care
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Wellness
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Cardiometabolic
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Musculoskeletal
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Fertility
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Pain Mgmt/Addiction Reduction
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Cancer Mgmt
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Imaging
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Reconstructive Surgery
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Dental
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty 2nd Opinion
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Destination COE (US)
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Destination COE (Intl)
- Direct Care Provider - Specialty Obstetrics
- Program Provider - General
- Program Provider - Specialty Wellness
- Program Provider - Specialty Cardiometabolic
- Program Provider - Specialty Musculoskeletal
- Program Provider - Specialty Fertility
- Program Provider - Specialty Pain Mgmt/Addiction Reduction
- Program Provider - Specialty Cancer Mgmt
- Program Provider - Specialty Imaging
- Program Provider - Specialty Reconstructive Surgery
- Program Provider - Specialty Dental
- Program Provider - Specialy 2nd Opinion
- Program Provider - Specialty Obstetrics
- Program Provider - Care Navigation
- Program Provider - Specialty Destination COE (US)
- Program Provider - Specialty Destination COE (Intl)
- Reference-Based/Bundled Pricing Services
- Captive Insurance Pool Managers
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
- Pharmaceutical Benefits Managers
- Drug Management Consultants
- Clinical Information Systems - Health Systems
- Clinical Information Systems - Ambulatory Care
- Health Care Analytics Platforms
- Value Transparency Services
- Medical Claims Review
- Telehealth Providers
3 Non-Validated Categories Include:
- Small Groups (<250 employees)
- Mid-Sized Groups (250-5,000 employees)
- Large Groups (>5000 employees)
6 Honorary Categories Include:
- Oustanding Employer/Union Benefits Manager (Purchaser)
- Outstanding Corporate Senior Leader Re: Health Benefits
- Outstanding Benefits Advisor/Broker
- Lifetime Achievement - Clinical Care
- Lifetime Achievement - Health Benefits Innovation
- Hall of Fame
Meet Our Esteemed Judges
Steven Blumberg is Chief Planning and Business Development Officer at The University of Miami Health System. In a previous role, he led AtlantiCare's Accountable Care Organization in Atlantic City, NJ, and developed a reputation for leading edge risk management and quality.
Jessica Brooks is the Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director of the Pittsburgh Business Group on Health, where she is leading the effort to redefine the discussion around healthcare value, access and quality for nearly two million people.
Tom Emerick is a consultant and speaker on health care economics. Previously, he led benefits for Walmart. In 2009, Healthspottr placed Tom as a top 100 US health care innovator for his work on medical ethics. A 2013 Forbes article named Tom one of 13 “Unsung Heroes Changing Health Care Forever.”
Lee Lewis runs A. J. Gallagher's Innovation Lab practice, a mission-driven group devoted to improving the cost, quality and design of American healthcare, while improving the engagement and longevity of employees and their families. Lee's practice partners with large employers to solve important healthcare problems, and were among the first consultants to bring employers sophisticated health plan audits and direct purchase specialty drug procurement.
Angela Mitchell is US Healthcare Delivery Service Manager, Global Health and Wellness at Intel. She currently oversees Intel's Connected Care ACO relationships with 6 different healthcare systems, covering over 36K lives.
Patricia Salber, MD, MBA is a health care serial entrepreneur and commentator. She is editor of the popular expert health care blog, The Doctor Weighs In. In previous roles, she has been Chief Medical Officer of Universal American Medicare Advantage Plans, Medical Director for Blue Shield of California's CalPERS Business Unit, and Medical Director for General Motors.
Jane Sarasohn-Kahn is a health economist, advisor and commentator supporting organizations at the intersection of health, technology and people. Jane's clients are all health care stakeholders: technology, bio/life sciences, providers, plans, retail, financial services, food and consumer goods. She founded her blog, Health Populi, in 2007.
Bruce Sherman, MD, FCCP, FACOEM, is Medical Director, Population Health Management for the RightOpt private exchange offering for Conduent HR Services, providing strategic client support for development, implementation and ongoing management of integrated, value-based health management strategies. Previously he was the consulting corporate medical director for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Dr. Dexter Shurney, MD, MBA, MPH is the Chief Medical Director/Executive Director for Global Health Benefits and Corporate Wellness for Cummins, Inc. Prior to his current position, Dr. Shurney was the Chief Medical Director of the Employee Health Plan for Vanderbilt University and Medical Center.
Pamela Stanford is Director of Integrated Wellness at Humana, currently working to integrate wellness offerings within clinical programs. Pam has developed wellness programming in hospitals, home care services organizations, fortune 500 companies and health care organizations.
Thomas Wilson, PhD, DrPH is an independent pragmatic epidemiologist specializing in the design, evaluation, and science-based improvement of population health programs. He is especially interested in mental and behavioral issues, health equity, evidence-based decision making, and the relationship between psychosocial stress and health outcomes.
Judges Criteria for Health Value Award
- Does the proposal convey an easily understandable value proposition?
- Does it provide clear longitudinal data supporting better health outcomes and/or lower cost?
- Have the performance metrics been calculated using a credible methodology?
- How significant is the value proposition? For example, one that saves 2% of total spend is likely less significant than one that saves 8% of total spend.
- Does the proposal offer multiple purchaser testimonials, and are those testimonials attributed to knowable individuals/clients.
- Is the approach in question easily scalable to clients in other markets?
- Is the approach durable, meaning that its impact on health outcomes and cost remains approximately constant over time?
- On a scale of 1-10, how disruptive is the approach? This assumes that more disruptive approaches will be harder to disseminate into the marketplace.
- Are there obvious barriers to the approaches' market success?
- Is the proposing company confident enough in the approach that it will put some or all of its fees at financial risk against the performance targets it claims it can achieve?